FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 2021/09/10
The Year After for Game Boy Color Pre-Order Now Live
Short narrative game
Montreal, Canada –September 10th, 2021– Retro publisher Incube8 Games, games producer Spacebot Interactive, and indie developer Hadrian Lin, announce that the pre-order window for the physical cartridge of The Year After, for the Nintendo Game Boy Color, is going live today.
You are an invisible stranger. Time moves freely around you, as seasons pass and characters age. A family prepares for a particularly harsh winter, whose tidings will echo throughout their lives.
The Year After is a short narrative experience for the Game Boy Color. Observe characters as they traverse through their lives, checking in periodically as your presence becomes increasingly felt. You won’t remain a stranger for long… or perhaps you were never a stranger to begin with.
The game is rated for a general audience, and will be available as a limited collectors edition.
Collector's Edition Includes
- Limited edition sealed box
- Clear black game cartridge
- Clear cartridge protector
- Game manual
- The Year After stickers sheet
- Silkscreened PCB with artwork on the back side
- Game soundtrack on CD and digital download
- 2x The Year After enamelled pin
- Game poster
- Exclusive paperback Dev Log
- Numbered certificate of authenticity
- Limited to 200 numbered copies
- $ 89.99 / £64,87 / €76,10
- 2D Pixel Art style
- Narrative focused gameplay
- Developed using GB Studio
- Supported Languages: English, French and Portuguese
- Fully compatible with all Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance handhelds
- Incube8 Games: Facebook / Instagram / Twitter / Youtube
- Retro Modding: Facebook / Instagram / Twitter / Youtube
- Spacebot Interactive: Instagram / Twitter / Youtube
- Hadrian Lin: itch.io / Twitter
About Retro Modding
Created in 2016, Retro Modding is a company based in Montreal, Canada. Its mission is to ensure the longevity of retro handheld systems. Specialized in the design and console components and modding parts, they collaborated with artist like Mr Beast, Justin Roiland (Rick & Morty), Spacebot Interactive (Dragonborne, Deadeus), NGDEV team, Chipzel (Crypt of the NecroDancer), The Retro Future, Rage Elixir, Eboys, Metal Jesus Rocks and many others.
About Incube8 Games
Incube8 Games aims to facilitate the publishing of retro video game cartridges, with a focus on 8-bit handheld consoles. Strong with Retro Modding’s expertise and supply chain, they offer turnkey publishing solutions for physical releases.
About Spacebot Interactive
Based in the UK, Spacebot Interactive are an indie game developer and publisher, who have a passion for retro style video games. They initially garnered interest with Dragonborne, an adventure RPG released in 2020, which has gone on to be one of the most successful indie Game Boy games in terms of sales.
About Carmelo Electronics
I reach back in time and embrace the strict limitations of the 8-bit era to explore thematically rich, story-driven games.
In the age of digital, why does Christopher Nolan focus on practical special effects and shoot with film? Why does he fight to preserve celluloid? Maybe the same reason communities of people still draw low-res pixel art and make games for a console nearing 30 years old. It is something more than nostalgia. There is power in simplicity.
The '90s came and went. We have moved on to 4k, 3d and VR but there are still spaces of possibility we did not fully explore when the gameboy was in its heyday. It's worth going back in time to see if we can do more with less.
The Year After is available through Incube8 Games as a Collector's Edition :
Full press kit available here :